As part of our research into Pickling project and Food Waste. I have been delving on the web and in London.
Tried to speak to our local garden center and the Council about Allotments. I am waiting back on a reply back from the Council on Wednesday about speaking to some people in allotments in my area.
Researching up on how much food waste we waste in the UK online. I stumbled on the guys at Sustain through a book called Confessions of An Eco Sinner by Fred Pearce. From searching in Sustain I came across there opinion on Food waste, Feeding 5,000 Pledge and the Food Waste Pyramid Graphic, The Green Cook Campaign in the EU, a Case Study in Germany and Taste the Waste German Food Campaign. They are all very helpful resources to pick up insights.
Insights I did not know and will need to research are:
- Maybe something like the pyramid could be used for the Public as it has been used in business
- What methods are being put in place to redistribute food which cannot be consumed by Humans (Feed Livestock)?
- Good list of practical principles and steps for using food
- Look at the http://www.green-cook.org/ Project – Sustainable model of integrated management and sustainable food
- Case Study in Germany – Food Night and Taste the Waste Documentary
- Taste the Wate – Checking of food before being sold issue
- Taste the Wate – Using unsold bread as a power source like wood
- Taste the Waste – ‘Agriculture is responsible for more than a third of the greenhouse gases worldwide because farming requires energy, fertilizers and land. What’s more, whenever food rots away at a garbage dump, methane escapes into the atmosphere, a climate gas with an effect 25 times as powerful as carbon dioxide. In other words: when we waste half of our food that has a disastrous impact on the world climate.’
- Taste the Waste – Save food! Learn more about Stop Wasting Food movement Denmark here: http://www.stopspildafmad.dk/inenglish.html
Good Links from Sustain
Good Links from Taste the Waste
Taste the Waste – Videos
Good Links for Food Waste from Food Waste Pyramid
Collection and recycling of food waste. Provides bins & free waste audit
visit website / 0800 307 307
Collection and recycling of food waste for agricultural fertilizer
Anaerobic digestion plant. Collection by Cawleys
visit website / 01234 827249
Collection and recycling of food waste By-cycler scheme. Free waste audit
15th October 2012 – 15:52 (Home)