This subject has been the hardest area for me to get my head around. Coming from such a logical engineering background it has been difficult to explore and code information. It has been very hard to work out a process of doing this and I have been confusing myself with all the different frameworks, plus some of these methods are around Visual Thinking and some are around Visual Language. So going back to basics with Sheilas presentations from the MDes 02 course I feel I may have got a method to follow and develop something.
From last weeks lecture I now have a more specific research title
Using Dan Roams framework to enhance understanding around the House Share data set
This research title now helps to focus my thoughts around how to code the data we have created through our House share project.
The process I am going to use now is the WHAT and HOW process. First the WHAT and then the HOW.
The WHAT – Organise the information
I have previously done alot this.
1. Classify all the information – This is where previously I let myself down. I have tried today to pull all the material in and classify it.
So what information do I have, using my timeline diagram that I did for previous formaltive assessment I can piece together all the information I have.
Here is a photo of my workings for today.
– Textual material – Data set A, Data set B, Data Set C, notes, Findings
– Visual material – Photos, Sketches, Illustrations, Graphics and Tables
2. Define Hierarchies – This was not as straight forward and this was my first attempt to try and break down information for each piece of material. For me this is the identifying information on each piece of data “like the nutrient information on the back of a packed of crisps”
– Main information
– Supporting information
– Additional information
3. Filter and Select
4. Tell your Story
– Sections, parts and chapters
5. Develop Style
HOW – Designing Information
5. Constants & Variables
6. Text & Image
20/05/13 – Uni 13:26
With my Studio Practice project coming to a close this has been a difficult process in terms of selecting the right data to use and keeping the research structured.
There are two processes going on here:
1. Reporting and claifying the design research. To create a clear report and final presentation.
2. Attempting to prototype House Share Data Set to understand it in different ways visually.
What next, I have to work through these processes this week for both of them. I will start with the reporting process as it will lead into the prototype process.
– Sheilas MDes 02 Presentations
– Bertins diagram